SulmeyerKupetz has extensive experience representing businesses in the food and beverage sector, including restaurants, food packaging and processing companies, and alcohol distillers.
Our lawyers have worked on behalf of food and beverage companies in relation to a variety of reorganization, litigation, and transactional matters, including the examples below:
- Represented national restaurant chain in relation to restructuring issues around the acquisition of another fast-food chain.
- Represented European buyer in acquisition of food processing and pasteurization business in Chapter 11 case, which included high-pressure pasteurization facilities, along with custom food and beverage product brand.
- Leading suit to reclaim assets moved by proprietor of defunct restaurant to a separate business, on behalf of bankruptcy trustee.
- Worked with California fine liquor and spirits business to expand company.
- Provided legal advisory services to shareholders of premier Los Angeles restaurant in connection with the contemplated disposition of their stock for a purchase price of $9 million.
- Negotiated sale of Otter Pop product line and made substantial distributions to creditors as trustee for food packaging company.
- Negotiated deal on behalf of beverage business with revenues in excess of $250 million, with secured lender (bank) and tax authority. Facilitated ongoing funding of company and payment plan with tax authority to successfully avoid Chapter 11.
- Represented franchisee of approximately one hundred Boston Market restaurants in Chapter 11 case which involved negotiating cash collateral agreements and entering into lease modification and lease termination agreements with various landlords, and confirmation of Chapter 11 plan.
- Eliminated roughly $30 million in debt for producer of plant-based meat alternatives. Assisted in obtaining and implementing commitment for debtor-in-possession and exit financing with new lenders, and confirmation of Chapter 11 plan.
- Negotiated combination settlement with major creditor and sale of facility to that major creditor on behalf of Hollywood nightclub. Obtained confirmation of plan of reorganization which paid all creditors in full and returned substantial surplus to debtor.