Our firm has represented real estate clients for decades in Southern California and beyond. These matters have included cases involving industrial properties and office buildings, as well as work on behalf of commercial and residential landlords.
Specific examples of our work in real estate include the following:
- Representing lender in two Chapter 11 cases involving entities controlled by well-known real estate developer Mohamed Hadid. Helped to bring transparency to Hadid’s efforts to sell 67 acres of prized open space in Franklin Canyon owned by the entities, on behalf of client who acquired the distressed debt prior to the reorganization petitions.
- Filed single asset bankruptcy case on behalf of client with 30-unit office building on the eve of foreclosure by lender, providing client thirteen additional months to refinance property or obtain sale.
- Represented commercial landlords in numerous Chapter 11 cases commenced by tenants.
- Represented General Electric Capital Corporation as creditor in real estate bankruptcies throughout the country, involving hotel properties and residential developments.
- Handle matters involving recovery of fraudulent and preferential transfers, breaches of fiduciary duty, and business contract disputes, on behalf of creditors’ committees and trustees of commercial and residential real estate companies.
- Representing members of Southern California residential real estate companies made responsible for taxes via IRS Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) despite not being paid the appropriate distributions in excess of $50 million.
- Defending tenant in commercial real estate litigation involving non-payment due to COVID disruptions to business.
- Provided counsel to national real estate company in relation to real estate limited partnership interests involving 22 properties throughout the United States.
- Represented lessee in negotiation of office lease for approximately 43,000 rentable square feet in prominent Los Angeles building.
- Represented lessor of Los Angeles office building in matter involving tenant unlawfully withholding rent.
- Served as primary legal advisor to a real estate developer in connection with Section 1031 “like-kind exchange” of two parcels of real estate located in Southern California.
- Won stay to foreclose for lender of Buena Park hotel that remained partially built for over 7 years, enabling the lender to complete construction.
- After construction lender was seized by the federal government and client’s $190-million loan for construction of residential towers was sold as part of lender’s portfolio, represented client in obtaining court authority to fund ongoing construction and confirmed Chapter 11 plan.
- Represented one of California’s largest developers of single-family residences after the company’s capital partner entered bankruptcy. Successfully guided client through Chapter 11, since which the company has experienced great success.
- Assisted in sale of several properties at a value of roughly $40 million in relation to six real estate entities under Chapter 11, which were jointly owned by two partners in dispute.
- Worked on behalf of creditors’ committee in Chapter 11 bankruptcy of largest private landowner in Downtown Los Angeles, Meruelo Maddox Properties.
- Secured significantly higher distributions than originally offered, as counsel to creditors’ committee in bankruptcy of Orange County residential real estate developer Gianulias/Cameo Homes.