SulmeyerKupetz attorneys have long worked on behalf of hotels and other hospitality entities, including handling reorganizations and out-of-court restructurings, and facilitating ongoing operations for prominent hotels, tourist attractions, and historical landmarks.
Our work in hospitality and tourism has included the following examples:
- Represented hotel with approximately 200 high-end accommodations and a special event venue that caters to weddings, meetings, and other events, in successful out-of-court restructuring.
- Represented equity holder of Midwest hotel group severely impacted by COVID-19 in working out and restructuring its CMBS secured loans.
- As trustee, managed operations of large Palm Springs hotel for approximately eighteen months, arranged financing for convention center renovations, and contracted construction of tennis courts, allowing debtor to restructure ownership interest and fund a high percentage payment to creditors.
- Facilitated ongoing operations of hotel in Palm Springs, including restaurant and bar, for two years before negotiating sale and successfully confirming plan of reorganization.
- Instituted process for converting Hollywood landmark hotel into senior citizen residential living.
- Handled disputes with the City of Long Beach on behalf of bankruptcy trustee (Howard Ehrenberg) for the Queen Mary hotel and tourist destination. The property, including forty acres surrounding the ship, was sold at auction to a new developer for $43 million.
- Facilitated continued operations of California state historical site, including hotel, restaurant, and bar, while lender and citizens’ group sought mutually acceptable buyer.
We also work with restaurants and related entities. For more on our experience in this sector, please see the Food & Beverage page here.