Our lawyers have worked with healthcare providers, including skilled nursing facilities, physician practice groups, and managed care companies, in relation to a wide variety of transactions, liquidations, reorganizations, and related litigation.
Specific examples of the firm’s work in the healthcare sector include:
- Served as counsel to Chapter 7 trustee for Philmar Care, which owned and operated 204-bed skilled nursing facility. Negotiated and obtained court approval of management and operations transfer agreement and separate purchase agreement that allowed license to be transferred to new operator and which prevented the facility from being closed. Represented trustees and successfully transitioned insolvent facilities to new ownership in two other similar skilled nursing facility matters.
- Prepared expert testimony on behalf of German pharmaceutical company for proceeding in Singapore commercial court, detailing the effects of bankruptcy sales to insiders where their insider status is not disclosed.
- Successfully organized $40-million acquisition of NASDAQ-listed managed health care company with 110,000 enrollees.
- Negotiated joint venture agreement amongst physicians establishing endocrinology practice in Chicago.
- Advised biotechnology start-up on deal structure and terms.
- Assisted managed health care company in establishing case management and utilization review program with its various payors, providers, and employee benefit plans.
- Recapitalized approximately $250 million of debt for publicly traded, national chain of over one hundred skilled nursing facilities in successful Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Created plan of liquidation, which was confirmed by the bankruptcy court, for trustee in matter involving large medical building, allowing trustee to continue liquidating receivables valued at approximately $40 million.
- Represented unsecured creditors’ committee in relation to restructuring of chain of skilled nursing facilities in Chapter 11 case.